Latest Z-Wave Certification Updates:
2021.08.27Z-Wave Long Range is now available for certification
Z-Wave Long Range is a subset of manual test cases in the Z-Wave Plus v2 certification program which is available for 700 series US products. Z-Wave Long Range comes with a new badge logo that must be used if the product is Z-Wave Long Range certified and can be found here.
2021.06.29New Z-Wave Alliance Certification Portal
We are excited to announce the launch of the new Z-Wave Alliance Certification Portal, available from July 5th 2021, under the following URL for all Z-Wave Alliance members: https://certification.z-wavealliance.org
The new ZWA Portal is a complete Z-Wave Certification system that builds on the old Portal by incorporating old features and integrating both Technical and Market Certification. This gives you:
- One sign-in
- One system
- One view
- One case
All the great features still apply in the new ZWA Portal including CTT integration and cloning which simplifies and reduces time spend in certification. It is even possible to clone a case from the old Portal to the newest form revision in the new ZWA Portal.
The old Portal will remain open for ongoing certifications and for re-certifications, using the old user account under the following URL: https://z-wavecertification.z-wavealliance.org
A few important points:
- Access to the ZWA Portal requires Z-Wave Alliance membership & login. For further information please visit https://z-wavealliance.org/join/
- If your company is already a Z-Wave Alliance member go to https://sdomembers.z-wavealliance.org/user/register to register for a user account.
- In the ZWA Portal, 3rd party editors can be invited to the case by the case owner. It is however required that 3rd party be a Z-Wave Alliance member.
- There is no change in certification requirements when comparing the latest form revisions 7 & 27 from the old Portal, with newest form revisions 9 & 29 from the new ZWA Portal.
2021.03.28Deprecation of the Z-Wave Plus certification program
- From April 4, 2022, all new certifications must be based upon the Z-Wave Plus v2 certification program. Re-certification of Z-Wave Plus-certified devices will still be possible.
- When transferring to the Z-Wave Plus v2 program, users will benefit from the full functionalities provided in the CTTv3 tool, such as 80% automated test cases and direct interaction with the Portal form. The Z-Wave Plus v2 certification program is made more user friendly by automatically pre-selecting the form items that are mandatory based upon product information provided by user.
- Z-Wave Plus v2 provides equal high level of interoperability on any new Z-Wave product brought to the ecosystem in Z-Wave Plus v2 such as: Any device type MUST support the same package of command classes,
- Indication mechanism
To view past certification news please visit our Certification Archive page here.
Interoperability between all Z-Wave products is the cornerstone of the brand.
Certification of devices to Z-Wave standards is required as part of the Trademark and Distribution License agreement and every device must pass a series of tests to ensure that it is compliant prior to the device being marketed or sold commercially.
In order to secure interoperability there is a straight-forward Z-Wave certification program in place that consists of 2 mandatory components:
1. Technical Certification
2. Market Certification
Both components must be successfully completed before a device certification number can be issued and products can feature the Z-Wave interoperability logo badges. The Z-Wave Plus logo on a product or package assures customers, consumers, dealers, integrators and service providers that the products will reliably perform with all Z-Wave certified products, designed for the same region.
Z-Wave Certification Process
1. Membership of Z-Wave Alliance. In order to certify products, companies must join the Z-Wave Alliance at the Manufacturer level or higher. Brander members may brand and adopt certified products and may hold a license to use Z-Wave certification marks, but cannot submit their own products for certification. For full information on membership, please review this page. In order to take advantage of all the Z-Wave Alliance benefits this step should be considered early in your development process. Please be sure to include your marketing team to ensure compliance with the marketing requirements, logos, packaging and paper inlays.
2. Z-Wave Certification Portal. Request access to the Z-Wave Certification Portal by emailing the Z-Wave certification team.
On the Z-Wave Certification Portal, read the information in the “Getting Started” section. Here you will find step-by-step instructions to help you create a certification case.
3. Compliance Test Tool. Download the Compliance Test Tool (CTT) from the Z-Wave Certification Portal and use it during product development to test and verify your Z-Wave implementation.
4. Send your Product to Certification Testing. After ensuring your product is Z-Wave compliant, finalize and submit your form on the Z-Wave Certification Portal. A case number is automatically assigned and once your submission has been reviewed and approved, you can start working with one of our independent test houses.
5. Market Certification. Start your Market Certification with the Z-Wave Alliance as soon as you have a case number. More information about how to use Market Certification may be found on the “Getting Started” page in the Certification Portal, linked above.
6. Z-Wave Certification is done. Once the device has passed the technical tests AND the Market Certification has been approved by the Z-Wave Alliance a Z-Wave certification number is issued and you can now launch your product into the interoperable Z-Wave ecosystem.
Important Documentation for Z-Wave Technical Certification
Z-Wave Certification Overview (updated July 14, 2021)
Device and Role Type Specifications documents
Z-Wave Certification Support
Z-Wave Certification Team for questions regarding the overall certification process or questions regarding certification interoperability testing done by the independent test partners: CertAdmin@Z-WaveAlliance.org
The Chip vendor Support Team or local Field Application Engineer for questions regarding the Z-Wave Protocol, Command Class implementation or specification issues..